Re: how secure is online backup?
Online backup is the best idea to safeguard your backup from catastrophic disaster. Moreover Online backup is absolutely secure than storing your data in your home.
Let we see how safe it is. Let us take Vembu Pro Online Backup Service. Vembu Pro Online Backup Service is powered by a Successful and Leading Backup Engine - StoreGrid.
While backing up your data online, StoreGrid will compress and encrypt your data with 448 bit encryption key provided by the users. Then Data transmission is done through SSL(Secured Socket Layer) which is the method used in online banking transactions(Most Secured method of transaction). In addition to that StoreGrid uses its own protocol to send and receive data between the destinations.
Hacking might take several million days as per the algorithm used in StoreGrid. It is highly not possible to research and understand internal protocol of StoreGrid. Even if anyone hacked the protocol of StoreGrid it is impossible to construct the original data from the hacked data.
How Secure It is
01. Backup data is encrypted with 448 bit(Military Level) encryption key.
02. Encrypted data is transformed into pockets that StoreGrid can only construct them as original data.
03. Encrypted data is transfer via SSL method.
04. SSL connection handshake is done through StoreGrid own protocol
05. Vembu Pro's data are stored on Amazon S3, Highly Secured, Reliable and Scalable Storage.
Vembu Pro's Storage
Amazon S3 provides a highly durable storage infrastructure designed for mission-critical and primary data storage. Data(Objects) are redundantly stored on multiple devices across multiple facilities in an Amazon S3 Region. Amazon S3 is designed to provide 99.999999999% durability and 99.99% availability of data(objects) over a given year. Nowhere we can expect such a facilities that results high availability and durability of data.